Vegas casinos remain without a firm date for reopening
Some resorts, including the Venetian, are now accepting reservations beginning June 1
Gov. Steve Sisolak ordered all Nevada casinos to close on March 17
Following a couple of months that felt like years to most, some parts of the United States are gradually beginning to reopen. The spread of the coronavirus throughout the United States forced businesses all over the country to shutter back in mid-March. While some are still closed, many were given the green light to start opening their doors.
On March 17, Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak ordered the closing of every casino in the state as a way to try and mitigate the spread of the virus. While Gov. Sisolak allowed some businesses around the state to start reopening on May 15, casinos are still closed.
Some resorts were targeting Memorial Day weekend for their reopening, but they still have to wait to get the go-ahead from state and local regulators. Now, some resorts are pushing to open their doors on June 1. Even without officials having approved of the idea.
The Venetian Resort, for example, is taking reservations for June 1. The resort is planning on opening its casino floor, pool, and restaurants to visitors on that day. The hotel released a statement that said, “The health and safety of our guests and Team Members is our top priority, and we continue to adhere to the guidance provided by federal, state and local authorities including the Southern Nevada Health District, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Nevada Gaming Control Board.”
Caesars Taking It Slow
Caesars Entertainment Corporation is looking forward to opening its doors, but the company has not yet specified a date. Caesars Palace and Flamengo Las Vegas will open at “the date and time for reopening specified by the state of Nevada.”
The CEO of Caesars Entertainment, Tony Rodio, released a statement that said, “Reopening Las Vegas in a phased approach will be a significant milestone for Caesars Entertainment as the country continues to emerge from this necessary closure period. We are excited to welcome guests and our employees back to our properties. We are hopeful that the country’s continued progress in addressing COVID-19 and business conditions will allow us to reopen more of our properties and bring back more of our colleagues as it is appropriate to do so.”
Caesars says that the resorts will allow visitors to play slot machines and table games in addition to swimming in outdoor pools. The LINQ Promenade will also reopen for dining and retail. However, the company will waive parking fees for an indefinite period.
Testing employees will be a crucial aspect of reopening. The Associated Press reported that casino employees are eligible for free coronavirus tests, with the ultimate goal of collecting around 4,000 checks per day moving forward.
Specifications Must Be Met
The Nevada Gaming Control Board approved specific safety requirements that must be met for casinos to reopen earlier this month. All surfaces inside casinos must be cleaned and disinfected throughout the day. Casino employees must be trained on measures to slow the spread of the virus, as well. Casinos must also clean high-contact gaming surfaces more frequently.
Las Vegas is a city that runs on tourism. With leisure travel having ground to a halt over the past couple of months, the Las Vegas Travel Authority is making plans to try and urge people to start coming back to town. The group will release a new television advertisement highlighting the positives of the precautions the city is taking while reopening.
The ad says, “The world has changed, and Vegas is changing with it. So yes, things will be a little different when we open again, at least for a while: a new Vegas for the new reality. We’re working to make it more intimate with more space and the excitement you’ve come to expect. So if you ever imagined a Vegas that was just for you, it’s only here. And when it’s ready, you’ll be the first to know.”
More than 300,000 people visited Las Vegas for Memorial Day weekend last year, but that certainly won’t be the case in 2020.
Read more: thesportsgeek.com